Safecast's Radiation Geiger Counter: bGeigie Nano. Portable radiation detector with GPS and bluetooth.
The Safecast bGeigie Nano is a mobile, GPS enabled, logging, radiation sensor used by anyone that wants reliable radiation readings including scientists, first responders and citizens. It is designed for mounting on the outside of a car window but can be used on bicycles, trains, planes, and other modes of transportation.
The bgeigie nano is weather resistant and rugged. It can also be used for taking static readings and contamination findings. In logging mode, the Nano takes a measurement every 5 seconds and logs the time and location coordinates.
With the bluetooth option, the bGeigie works with your smartphone. Install the Safecast:Drive app on your Apple | Google Play | Amazon Apps device and upload your data on the go!
Nano users submit their log files to the Safecast dataset and can view their readings on the open and free Safecast map.Joe in Fukushima preparing to fly a drone with a mounted bGeigie. Read more.
Three purchasing options:
- Assembly required (with bluetooth) - $600
- Fully assembled and ready to use - $1500 (14 day waiting period)
- Ship within Japan - $600 (at checkout choose Ship Within Japan)
Ages: 13 and up
Skill level: Through-hole soldering
Time to solder and assemble: 4-6 hours
Example Test Before Shipping Fully Assembled bGeigie Nano
The bGeigie Nano is a solid-state, fully digital device. Because of its design, its performance is extremely consistent, and unlike devices with analog components which can be affected by temperature and other effects, further calibration is not expected to be necessary.
bGeigie Nano units have periodically been put through stringent calibration tests at QualTek in the US, at the Jülich Research Centre in Germany, and at the IAEA testing laboratory in Seibersdorf, Austria. In all cases the measured accuracy has been shown to be compatible with the SAFECAST specifications (Accuracy: +/- 10% typical, +/- 15% maximum ). Please note that +/- 10% is currently considered excellent performance for a Geiger counter.
This device is part of a global environmental sensor network enabling people to personally collect radiation and air quality readings, and freely use and share the data collected.
One of the things that differentiates the Safecast bGeigie nano from other geiger counters, is that it takes extremely fast alpha readings which allows you to perform spot decontamination.
Safecast is a global environmental sensor network enabling people to collect radiation and air quality readings and freely use and share the data collected.
Started after the Fukushima earthquake in 2011, Safecast has the largest collection of radiation data ever available spanning every continent on the globe. The project is driven by volunteers and citizen scientists everywhere, just like you.
Safecast believes that environmental data should be open, easy to access and easy to understand. They provide an open, free and public map of all submitted radiation data readings that can be access via browser or Safecast:drive apps.
Note: A portion of this sale is given back to Safecast for continued development and education of open source environmental monitoring and data accessibility.
Safecast bGeigie Nano website: http://nano.safecast.org
Nano Assembly Manual https://github.com/Safecast/bGeigieNanoKit/wiki/Assembly-Manual
Mailing List (very responsive!) https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/safecast-devices
Time lapse build video: https://vimeo.com/62926075
Nano Operations Manual https://github.com/Safecast/bGeigieNanoKit/wiki/Nano-Operation-Manual
Bluetooth Module Install https://www.youtube.
Bluetooth and Smartphone App
- Simply add the bluetooth to your device and install the free Safecast:Drive app on your Apple | Google Play | Amazon Apps device and upload your data on the go!
- Watch this short video to see how easy it is to collect data with the bGeigie nano and the smartphone app.
- Learn more here.
Upload Data to Safecast Map with SD Card
- Register to upload Nano log files https://api.safecast.org/en-US/users/sign_up
- You will receive an email from email@example.com asking you to confirm your account
- Click on “confirm” in the email and you will be redirected to https://api.safecast.org/en-US
- Click on the Upload button and upload your safecast files that are located on your SD card in your device
- After you upload data, a Safecast team member will review and then once confirmed will publish your data points
View Your Data
View all of the data that has been collected worldwide on the public and free Safecast Map.
Read the answers to these FAQs and more from Safecast here.
- What level of radiation is “Safe”?
- What is Alpha, Beta, Gamma?
- How can I find out the radiation level near me?
- Has Safecast found evidence of plutonium, iridium, or strontium?
Contact Safecast for help building your device and usability issues.
- bGeigie mode – mobile radiation sensor with display indicator in CPM and µSv/hr, number of satellites locked, height (m), distance traversed (km), total duration of measurement (h:m) and time stamp (dd:hh:mm:ss)
- xGeigie mode – geiger counter mode (no logging) with display indicator for µSv/hr dose-rate (Cs-137), max dose-rate, dosimeter, Bq/m2 display (Cs-137), time stamp and Alarm LED
- Sensor: LND 7317, 2” pancake GM tube with IMI iRover HV supply; capable of measuring Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation
- Modular design – main unit can be taken out of case to use as surface contamination survey meter
- High quality GPS receiver with external booster antenna connector
- Wireless option – bluetooth, 802.15.4 or Wifi supported through Xbee socket – send data wirelessly to smartphone.
- Blue Indicator LED for every nuclide detected (with cool afterglow)
- Red Indicator LED for “recording” (bGeigie mode) or “alarm” (xGeigie mode) indicators
- Orange indicator LED on Fio for charge status
- Battery status indicator on OLED display, with low Battery alarm
- Function button (user assignable)
- Buzzer (can be switched off)
- 2000 mAh battery for approx. 40-hour nonstop operation in bGeigie mode. USB chargeable
- Memory: 4GB SD micro card (included)
- Hot switch between bGeigie and xGeigie mode (in xGeigie mode recording is paused)
- Many parameters configurable through config file on SD card (e.g. user name, conversion factor for µSv/hr and Bq/m2, time interval, etc)
- OLED display: 128×64 high contrast, two OLED display sizes supported
- Realtime clock
- Watertight, shock resistant Pelican 1010 micro case
- Carry strap and hook attachment (for car, cycling, walking, airplane, etc)
- Fits into “Topeak” Bicycle top bar case for US on road bikes (not included)
- Dual CPU: Atmel, Arduino. Open-source software
If you are an institution or organization that requires the use of a purchase order, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.