Safecast's Radiation Geiger Counter: bGeigie Nano. Portable radiation detector with GPS and bluetooth.
The Safecast bGeigie Nano is a mobile, GPS enabled, logging, radiation sensor used by anyone that wants reliable radiation readings including scientists, first responders, and citizens. It is designed for mounting on the outside of a car window but can be used on bicycles, trains, planes, and other modes of transportation.
The bGeigie Nano is weather-resistant and rugged. It can also be used for taking static readings and contamination findings. In logging mode, the Nano takes a measurement every 5 seconds and logs the time and location coordinates.
With the bluetooth option, the bGeigie Nano works with your smartphone. Install the Safecast:Drive app on your Apple | Google Play | Amazon Apps device and upload your data on the go!
Nano users submit their log files to the Safecast dataset and can view their readings on the open and free Safecast map.
Three purchasing options:
- Assembly required (no Bluetooth) - $550
- Assembly required (with Bluetooth) - $600
- Fully assembled and ready to use - $1500 (14 day waiting period)
Ages: 13 and up
Skill level: Through-hole soldering
Time to solder and assemble: 4-6 hours
Example Test Before Shipping Fully Assembled bGeigie Nano
The bGeigie Nano is a solid-state, fully digital device. Because of its design, its performance is extremely consistent, and unlike devices with analog components that can be affected by temperature and other effects, further calibration is not expected to be necessary.
bGeigie Nano units have periodically been put through stringent calibration tests at QualTek in the US, at the Jülich Research Centre in Germany, and at the IAEA testing laboratory in Seibersdorf, Austria. In all cases, the measured accuracy has been shown to be compatible with the SAFECAST specifications (Accuracy: +/- 10% typical, +/- 15% maximum ). Please note that +/- 10% is currently considered excellent performance for a Geiger counter.
This device is part of a global environmental sensor network enabling people to personally collect radiation and air quality readings, and freely use and share the data collected.
One of the things that differentiate the Safecast bGeigie Nano from other geiger counters, is that it takes extremely fast alpha readings which allows you to perform spot decontamination.
Safecast is a global environmental sensor network enabling people to collect radiation and air quality readings and freely use and share the data collected.
Started after the Fukushima earthquake in 2011, Safecast has the largest collection of radiation data ever available spanning every continent on the globe. The project is driven by volunteers and citizen scientists everywhere, just like you.
Safecast believes that environmental data should be open, easy to access and easy to understand. They provide an open, free and public map of all submitted radiation data readings that can be accessed via browser or Safecast:drive apps.
Note: A portion of this sale is given back to Safecast for continued development and education of open-source environmental monitoring and data accessibility.
Safecast bGeigie Nano website: http://nano.safecast.org.
Bluetooth and Smartphone App
- Simply add the Bluetooth to your device and install the free Safecast:Drive app on your Apple | Google Play | Amazon Apps device and upload your data on the go!
- Watch this short video to see how easy it is to collect data with the bGeigie nano and the smartphone app.
- Learn more here.
Upload Data to Safecast Map with SD Card
- Register to upload Nano log files https://api.safecast.org/en-US/users/sign_up
- You will receive an email from email@example.com asking you to confirm your account
- Click on “confirm” in the email and you will be redirected to https://api.safecast.org/en-US
- Click on the Upload button and upload your Safecast files that are located on your SD card in your device
- After you upload data, a Safecast team member will review and then once confirmed will publish your data points
View Your Data
View all of the data that has been collected worldwide on the public and free Safecast Map.
"The bGeigie Nano Monitor is capable of being an easily assembled radiation monitor for the public to accurately measure the dose rates of radioactivity in their area and to share the monitoring data through the Safecast API website."
- Environmental Protection Agency, Ireland
Do we need to pay import duties?
The Safecast bGeigie nano is a kit of parts, not a final product and it is listed under tariff code 8542.90.00.00 electronic circuit parts. You will need to check if there are import fees for your country.
Read the answers to these questions from Safecast FAQs.
- What level of radiation is “Safe”?
- What is Alpha, Beta, Gamma?
- How can I find out the radiation level near me?
- Has Safecast found evidence of plutonium, iridium, or strontium?
Contact Safecast for help building your device and usability issues.
If you are an institution or organization that requires the use of a purchase order, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.